Are You Up For the Challenge?
By Christine Dubyts, Dubyts Communications
Looking for a way to get people to interact with your brand, get some buzz and boost goodwill? Then put out a Challenge!
Activia is doing it with their two week challenge: Eat Activia for two weeks for better digestive health. Special K is doing it with their 10,0000 Steps-a-Day Challenge: Free step counter in every box of Special K. And Winnipeg's own, Deb Dawson-Dunn of, Get it Dunn, is doing it with her 100-Day Challenge: You get to choose your challenge!
Putting out a Challenge is an awesome marketing tactic for a number of reasons:
1. It raises awareness of your brand.
2. It gets participants to interact with your brand, which is so important in marketing today!
3. It creates a buzz about your brand for the duration of the Challenge and sometimes beyond.
4. It boosts goodwill. The Challenge typically provides a benefit to the "challenger" so they feel good about the brand, AND the brand is doing something "good" for their customers. Its win-win! In the case of Activia, they are promoting better digestive health. With Special K, its improved fitness. The 100-Day Challenge by Get It Dunn is a "choose your own challenge," so you choose the benefit.
5. And, in most cases the Challenge even increases sales! Customers are buying the product as part of their participation in the Challenge. The ultimate goal by the brand of course is that the customer will turn the Challenge into a habit (it takes 28 days to form a habit), and will continue to buy the product after the Challenge is over.
Get it Dunn, one of our clients, put out the 100-Day Challenge 3-weeks ago and I jumped on board, vowing to drink 8 - 8 oz glasses of water every day for 100 days. I in turn put out the Challenge to people in our office. Not only are we challenging ourselves. We've got a fun office activity going on to get us through the winter.
Putting out a Challenge is a great idea, but not appropriate for all businesses. If you decide it's a good compliment to your marketing mix make sure you consider all the details and logistics so it provides a positive and lasting impact for your business.
Back Marketing Resources Page