Marketing Outlook 2010
By Christine Dubyts, Dubyts Communications
1. Out with the old and in with the new: Traditional broadcast media (tv, print, radio, etc.) will continue to lose ground to evolving peer-to-peer (P2P) social marketing tactics. No big surprise here. What's important to take away from this is the "HOW" of effectively leveraging sites like facebook, twitter and Linkedin.
- Referrals Reign: Work at earning and getting referrals via your social networks - a single tweet can take you all the way to Oprah!
- Create Customer Evangelists: Leverage social media by creating advocates, or as we call them, evangelists, who actively promote and recommend your brand.
- P2P Marketing Best Served Hot: Treat your evangelists like stars and give them ammo so they have something hot, new and exciting to talk about.
- It's Better to Give than Receive - Use your P2P tactics to provide something of value - info, apps or tools. Giving something of value helps build trust and forge relationships.
2. Mobile Gets Mobile: We assisted a client seven years ago research and market a mobile marketing channel in Europe. At that time there were more mobile subscriptions in Europe than there were people. (meaning some people held two mobile devices) Well, we're finally catching up here in North America. Mobile marketing is a tactic that is starting to become viable in new media and integrated marketing campaigns for a number of reasons. Here are a few:
- Excellent Branding Opportunity
- Highly Precise... Personal, Local, Immediate
- Ties the mobile Channel to In-Store Experiences
- Maximizes "Impulse Buying" Behavior
- Highly Measurable
- Growing user consent
Keep your eye on this moving target in 2010.
3. Working Websites: The days of the "strictly pretty" website are going, going, gone. We've been witness to many B2B and B2C sites being developed and redeveloped to be pretty but with purpose. Content value, apps, tools, free resources, peer-to-peer (P2P) interaction, etc., etc. You can expect to see more of this into 2010 as businesses catch on to the fact that people don't want to be "talked at" anymore they want to be "talked with."
As you can see the trend is moving away from the traditional world to the digital world and at Dubyts Communications we're moving right along with it. Ask us about setting up a website that's pretty with purpose. Find out how you can integrate your social marketing tactics with your other mediums AND we're not sitting around when it comes to the .mobi websites, ads or apps. If you think this might be a fit for you give us a call.
Digital marketing continues to move at light speed so buckle up your chin strap and get ready for a wild ride into the next decade.
Back Marketing Resources Page